The Ottawa-Carleton Pharmacists' Association (OCPhA) is the voluntary association of pharmacists in Ottawa and its surrounding areas.
OCPhA has been serving its members and the community for over 30 years. The association currently represents approximately 300 pharmacist-members from many different areas of practice, including community pharmacists, hospital pharmacists, consultant pharmacists, and others.
The mandate of the association is to support professionalism and innovation in pharmacy practice, to facilitate continuing education for pharmacists in the Ottawa-Carleton area, and to promote the expertise of pharmacists to the community, government, and other stakeholders. The ultimate goal of this mandate is to enhance and expand the scope of practice of pharmacists within the health care team for the benefit of the public in the Ottawa-Carleton area.
OCPhA fulfills its mandate by offering many services to its members. These services include:
- continuing education programs (free to OCPhA member pharmacists)
- a newsletter to members highlighting important pharmacy-related information
- a hotline service to help member pharmacists in their practice
- a listing of all members pharmacies (including fax and phone numbers)
- representation to provincial and national pharmacy associations
- representation to the Ontario College of Pharmacists
- representation to municipal, provincial, and federal governments
- liaisons with other local professional associations
- activities for networking and fun (e.g., golf tournament)
- awards and bursaries to promote innovation and professionalism in pharmacy
The Associaiton and its members also recognize the importance of contributing to the community in which they work. To date OCPhA has donated over $69,000 to the Bruyère Foundation to help in funding services provided by the Saint-Vincent and Élisabeth Bruyère Hospitals.
If you would like further details about OCPhA, please feel free to read the Constitution and By-laws of the Association.